Mr. Ohagwa, Innocent C. is a Chartered Accountant by profession and a seasoned Tax Administrator of over 23 years of outstanding records. He is also a Certified Information System Auditor (CISA).
He started his pursuit in life from a very humble beginning, when he was enrolled in St. Paul’s Primary School and later transferred to Community Primary School 3, Nkwerre, between 1970 – 1974.
Between 1974 – 1979, he attended Government College Umuahia, where he had Division (1) one in his West African School Certificate (WASC).
From 1979 – 1981, he proceeded to the school of Arts and Science Uyo, Cross River (Akwa – Ibom) to do his advance level (Higher School Certificate), and at the end of the programme, he made Four advanced papers in HSC/GCE and was awarded certificate in Basic Studies Advanced Level, conducted by the University of Cambridge, London.
From 1981 – 1985, he was given direct admission to the prestigious University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos State to study Accounting. At the end of the course, he was found worthy in learning and in character, and was accordingly awarded 2nd Class Upper Division in Accounting.
He was subsequently mobilized by NYSC to serve in Lagos State. However, in his desire to train in an accounting firm and prepare for ICAN professional Examination, he was posted to the firm of Messrs. Akintola Williams & Chartered Accountants, Lagos.
Mr. Ohagwa Innocent C. also attended Bayero University Kano for Masters in Business Administration (MBA) on part-time basis while working in Kano as a banker between 1993 – 1996.
- Associate and Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) – ACA (1989), FCA (2000)
- Associate and Fellow of Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria CITN – ACTI (1990), FCTI (1999)
- Certified Fraud Examiner – University of Portmouth, UK – 2007/2008
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) of Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) of Illinois USA – 2017
Mr. Ohagwa Innocent C. trained and qualified as a Chartered Accountant with the firm of Akintola Williams & Co, Lagos (1985-1990), the member firm of Touche Ross and Company. He then proceeded to work with Century Merchant Bank Ltd, Lagos and Kano respectively from 1990-1997.
He also worked briefly with Muktari Dangana & Co. Chartered Accountants, Kano from April 1997 – 2nd June, 1997 before joining the Service of Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) from 3rd June 1997 to date.
He lectured on part-time basis at Kano State Polytechnic and Post-graduate school of Bayero University, Kano and was course facilitator at the Tropical Commercial Bank Training School, Kano.
In his 34 years working career between 1986 to March, 2020, twenty-three years were spent in FIRS. During this eventful period, he had been posted across many states in Nigeria. Some of the postings are as follows:
- Tax Audit Branch, Lagos Mafuluku Oshodi-Lagos – June to December, 1997
- Monitoring & Reconciliation Unit, St. Nicholas House, Lagos – December, 1997 to December, 1999
- Local VAT Officer/Head of Office, Kano II VAT Officer, Kano – 1999 to 2001
- VAT Officer/Head of Office, Lagos Central VAT Office, Lagos – 2002 to 2004
- Local VAT Officer/Head of Office, V/Island VAT office, Lagos – April 2004 to September, 2004
- Head, Personnel Administration Division of the Human Resources Department, Headquarters, Abuja – 2004 to 2007
- Head, Criminal Investigation Department (Domestic Taxpayers) 2007 to 2009
- Regional Coordinator, Lagos Island Region of FIRS, Lagos – 2009 to 2012
- Director, Large Taxpayer Department Non-Oil, Headquarters, Abuja – 2012 to 2015
- Regional Director, South-South/South-East Region – 2015 to 2016
- Director/States Coordinator, Akwa-Ibom, Bayelsa and Cross Rivers states – 2016 to 2017
- Director-Technical, Domestic Taxes Group – 2017 to 2018
- Director, Special Tax Audit, Lagos – April, 2018 to December, 2019
- Director, Human Capital Management Department – January to 24th March, 2020
- COORDINATING DIRECTOR, GENERAL SERVICES GROUP – 25th March 2020 for a period of three (3) years.
His hobbies are reading and lecturing. He is happily married with three children.