The Federal Inland Revenue Service is automating it`s tax administration processes through the Integrated Tax Administration System (ITAS). The project is aimed at improving ease of doing business with FIRS, enhancing voluntary compliance and boosting revenue generation. The ITAS solution has been customized to reflect Nigeria tax legislations, bringing standardization & efficiency to tax administration.
- Document Number is referred to as a remittance form number which is used for raising assessment and payment of the taxes under the ITAS platform.
- Document Number is unique to taxpayers, tax type, tax period and tax office.
1. GO TO YOUR NEAREST FIRS OFFICE
This is the office where taxpayers submit their annual returns for processing. The tax office will generate Document Number for specific period or periods which can be in advance prior to the due date of filing that tax. The Document Number makes it easy to identify each transaction because it uniquely combines the taxpayer`s TIN, tax type and tax period.
- This is an online portal where taxpayers submit returns online and Document Number is generated instantly.
- Taxpayers can register here: https://efiling.firs.gov.ng and make use of the platform.
- On the platform, assessments and payments are easy and user friendly. Tax payments are created real time.
BENEFITS OF ITAS
- Taxpayers have access to their tax history in the comfort of their offices, homes and anywhere in the world.
- Taxpayers are in control of their tax affairs and in turn reduce culpable incidence of penalties and interest.
- 24-hour real time interaction with the tax office using the Message Center.
- Quick data generation by pulling reports and activities of their tax types and tax liability.
- Improve transparency to enable a fair and equal treatment of taxpayers.
- Increase taxpayers efficiency and empowerment.
- Improve the efficiency of overall revenue administration and reduce turnaround time for providing services to taxpayers; in order to support voluntary compliance.
- Taxpayers can validate third party TIN.
- Taxpayers could update their profile without going to Tax Offices.
- Driven by best practices.
- Improve governance, through effective and efficient channels of collaboration with the taxpayers and stakeholders.